Rabu, 17 Juni 2009

Introducing, Greetings and Leave Takings

I. MATERIALS
A. Introducing
The first introduction is the most formal, the second introduction is more informal and the third introduction is very informal. The fourth and the fifth introductions are introducing yourself to someone where there is no mutual friend to do it.
1. Mr. Yuda : Ani, I would like you to meet my friend, Arsa Wijaya. Arsa, this is Ani
Ani : How do you do?
Arsa : How do you do? I’m glad to meet you.

2. Mr. Yuda : Ani, this is Arsa Wijaya.
Ani : Hello. I’m glad to meet you.
Arsa Wijaya : I’m happy to meet you too.

3. Mr. Yuda : Ani, this is Arsa.
Ani : Hi, Arsa.
Arsa : Hi, Ani.

4. Ani : Hello. My name is Ani Lestari.
Arsa : Hello. I’m Arsa Wijaya.

5. Ani : Hi. I’m Ani.
Arsa : Hi, Ani. I’m Arsa.


B. Greetings and Leave Takings
Conversation 1 is formal and conversation 2 and 3 are informal.
1. Tony : Good Morning, Mr. Yuda
Mr. Yuda : Hello Tony. How are you?
Tony : I’m fine, thank you. How are you?
Mr. Yuda : I’m fine too.

2. Tony : Hi, Ani. How are you doing?
Ani : Pretty Good. How about you?
Tony : Oh. I’m O.K.

3. Tony : Excuse me. I’m late for my next class.
Ani : Bye, Ani. See you later.
Tony : So long.

Other Greetings
• Hello.
• Good Morning.
• How are you?
• How are you doing?
• Good-bye.
• So long.
• Good afternoon.
• Good evening.
• See you later.
• Good night.


C. Grammar Review
The verb be has different forms after different subjects.
1. Affirmative (+)
Examples
• I am from Japan.
• The students are late.
• You are twins!
• The teacher is over there.
Notes
• Use am with the pronoun I.
• Use are with plural nouns and these pronouns: we, you, they, these, or those.
• Use is with singular nouns and these singular pronouns: he, she, it, this, or that.

2. Negative (-)
Examples
• I am not late
• She is not in the class
Notes
• Use not after the verb be in negative sentences.


Contractions are short forms. They are used in conversation and informal writing. Full forms are used in more formal writing.
1. Affirmative (+)
Full Forms
• I am Mexican.
• He is a new student.
• She is a student.
• It is Tuesday.
• We are cousins.
• You are very smart.
• They are at home.
Contractions
• I’m Mexican.
• He’s a new student.
• She’s a student.
• It’s Tuesday.
• We’re cousins.
• You’re very smart.
• They’re at home.

2. Negative (-)
Full Forms
• I am not interested.
• He is not in the office.
• She is not happy.
• It is not here.
• We are not students.
• You are not married.
• They are not friendly.
Contractions
• I’m not interested.
• He’s not in the office.
• She’s not happy.
• It’s not here.
• We’re not students.
• You’re not married.
• They’re not friendly.

• (no contraction)
• He isn’t in the office.
• She isn’t happy.
• It isn’t here.
• We aren’t students.
• You aren’t married.
• They aren’t friendly.





II. HOMEWORK FOR NEXT MEETING
A. Introducing
- Introduce yourself in the front of the class!
- Find a friend. Practice a formal introduction in the front of the class. Use dialog 1 as your guide.
B. Greetings and Leaves Taking
- Find a friend! Choose one of the conversations above to practice it in the front of the class! Without using text!

4 komentar:

  1. it is a good web page. i can learn about greeting here.
    by: mertha (smp n 1 selat)

    BalasHapus
  2. that's a very useful information in learning how to greet and introducing our self...

    BalasHapus
  3. dear mr.yuda
    thanks you so much, mr. Yuda to tell me about this blog.it inform me so much about greeting and how to introduce aourself to another people.


    regard
    vega

    BalasHapus
  4. Materinya bagus... I like that all....
    perhaps you can add some more exercises..

    Sincerely,

    English Online!

    BalasHapus